RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE10/03/2019 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONGermany › Schenefeld (Hamburg area)
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques. Early user operation started in September 2017.
The optical laser department at the European XFEL is developing a range of pulsed laser systems, which are being installed and commissioned. For this purpose, we are seeking to employ an experienced
Laser Physicist / Engineer (m/f/d)
Working closely with other laser specialists on the implementation, commissioning and operation
of various pulsed lasers for the European XFEL project, the candidate will:
- gain a thorough understanding of the laser systems and sub-systems as well as the control electronics and software
- install, commission , operate and continuously improve complex laser systems
- perform and characterise experiments with high power, ultra-short pulse diode pumped solidstate lasers and parametric amplifiers
- interact with x-ray instrument scientists and other technical disciplines
The candidate ideally has
- at least a Bachelor or Masters degree or equivalent academic or industrial experience in photonics, physics or similar. A PhD is considered an asset
- work experience in a large scale user facility is advantageous
- proven experience with work in laser labs, in particular with ultra-fast lasers, parametric amplifiers and the associated measurement and characterization methods
- excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-lingual, multi-disciplinary team
For additional information, please contact Max Lederer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme as well as broad relocation benefits. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
Handicapped persons will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants. The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
English is the working language, knowledge of German is considered an asset.
The position is limited to two or three years and may be – subject to a later decision – become permanent.
10 March 2019
Please apply online and provide a motivation letter next to a CV in English, your list of publications, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
EURAXESS offer ID: 379052
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.