ORGANISATION/COMPANYEindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/07/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Eindhoven
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38.0
Currently, there are two full-time Postdoc positions available at the Electrical Energy Systems Group at the Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) in the area of electricity markets. The appointments are yearly with the possibility of being extended for a period of up to two years.
The positions are funded by an Education Innovation Fund for the Development of a competitive serious game for teaching electricity markets. The project aims at developing a web-based multiplayer serious game in order to enhance the teaching of electricity markets subjects. Teaching electricity markets requires the introduction of mathematical theory for dealing with large-scale optimization problems, concepts from various disciplines (e.g., power systems, microeconomics, machine learning, etc.) and programming. This project proposes to actively introduce gamification elements in the teaching and learning process, anticipating the stimulation of student creativity, in parallel to understanding the relevant technical content. Embedding gamification in teaching the subject of electricity markets is expected to contribute to students' development of 21st century skills and to materializing the TU/e vision on education in 2030. More specifically, it will promote research-driven learning within the courses that the developed serious game will be used. In addition to that, digital literacy, problem-solving and creative thinking, as well as team-work, shall become central to the learning process.
The selected candidates are expected to be actively involved in the design, development and evaluation of the game platform, in parallel to conducting academic research in the field of electricity markets. Research topics of interest include (but are not limited to):
- Development of market participation strategies and risk management;
- Market clearing mechanisms under uncertainty;
- Applications of machine learning to electricity markets (e.g., forecasting);
- P2P and local electricity markets;
- Optimization techniques (distributed optimization, decomposition techniques, multi-objective optimization, reinforcement learning etc.).
- A full time appointment for 1 year at Eindhoven University of Technology (http://www.tue.nl/en/ ) with the possibility of being extended for a period of up to two years.
- Gross monthly salaries and conditions are in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement of the Dutch Universities (CAO NU), scale 10, depending on your experience.
- Interesting cooperation with the high-tech industry in- and outside The Netherlands.
- An attractive package of benefits, including end-of-year allowance and excellent sport facilities.
More information on employment conditions can be found here: http://www.tue.nl/en/university/working-at-tue/working-conditions/ .
The successful candidates will be employed under the collective labor agreement for Dutch Universities (https://www.tue.nl/en/careers/working-conditions/) and should be available to start by October 2019. Interested candidates can inquire more information about these positions by sending an e-mail to Dr. Nikolaos Paterakis, n.paterakis[at]tue.nl.
If interested, please use the 'apply now'-button at the top of this page. You should upload the following:
- A motivation letter.
- A detailed CV including a list of publications.
- A research statement (max 3 pages).
- The contact information of 2 references.
- Optionally, supportive material to demonstrate affinity for programming (e.g., Github, etc.).
Due to the stringent technical requirements of the funding project, shortlisted candidates may be asked to complete a brief technical assignment.
Please keep in mind; you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each
Web site for additional job details
- Ph.D. in electrical engineering, operations research, computer science or related fields, with a focus on electricity markets.
- Good publication record.
- Experience with Python programming is a strong requirement for this position. Knowledge of web programming languages and tools is a plus.
- Keen interest in engineering education research and education innovation through ICT.
EURAXESS offer ID: 408136
Posting organisation offer ID: 54824
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.