ORGANISATION/COMPANYNTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/09/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Trondheim
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
We have a vacancy for a position as Associate Professor at the Department of Computer Science (IDI).
We are recruiting in the core area of Extended Reality XR (Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality), as part of the Visual Computing (VC) area of Computer Science (CS) and the core technology’s application related to simulation, training, digital twins and serious games within various fields like medicine, transportation and education. The position will support both the Trondheim and Gjøvik part of IDI to extend the activities within this area, although the main workplace will be in Trondheim. The position reports to Head of Department.
XR is a mature and growing field currently influencing more or less all domains and industries. IDI aims at being a key player in this field, both in terms of fundamental research and developing new solutions based on the technology. The field has gained a lot of interest from students, other departments and faculties, as well as the industry. The technology will be a key component in future education and training. Simulation is also a growing field closely related to XR and more and more real-world scenarios are played out in a simulated environment first. XR is also a great tool for collaboration where key personnel, located at different places, can discuss the surgery of a patient or whether or not the construction work proceeds as planned. The area of digital twins as a faculty focus is also relevant in this respect. Likewise, an increasing number of AI models are trained from data generated in a virtual environment and more and more real-world models are being tested / validated in a virtual environment to cover various corner cases. Furthermore, we see a growth in the number of serious games being developed and XR is increasingly being integrated with more traditional media technology.
Main duties and responsibilities
- The associate professor is expected to play a leading role in research and research-based education related to the research field in close collaboration with existing staff at IDI.
- The successful applicant is expected to engage extensively in applications for external funding, e.g. from the Research Council of Norway, European research and educational agencies, the industry sector and other available sources.
- The associate professor will contribute to the department’s educational profile and an excellent learning environment in collaboration with colleagues, students and external stakeholders. He/she should supervise MSc students, PhD candidates and postdoctoral fellows.
- In addition to research and education, the associate professor is expected to disseminate relevant parts of his/her research to a wider audience (public outreach).
- The associate professor will also participate in the management of research, education and other relevant academic activites in agreement with the Head of Department.
The position as Associate Professor requires university education at doctoral level in computer science or equivalent subject areas. The applicant should demonstrate professional qualifications within visual computing (e.g. computer graphics and/or computer vision), with specific focus on XR (VR, AR, MR) and a strong interest for related fields like simulation, digital twin technology, virtual and mixed collaboration and serious games for learning and training. Knowledge of machine learning or media technology will be a plus, but is not required. She or he should have a good publication record in terms of papers in recognized international peer-reviewed journals within the subject area and other relevant publication channels.
Emphasis will be placed on ability and experience in initiating and leading research as well as the development of the research field. Particular focus is placed on academic work during the past five years, excluding statutory leave.
The successful applicant will be expected to deliver high-quality teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and undertake supervision of Masters and Doctoral candidates. Evaluation of these skills will be based on documented experience and relevant teaching qualifications. Applicants with teaching experience at university level are preferred. Quality and breadth of the teaching qualifications will be evaluated.
Those who do not have formal qualifications in teaching at university level and who cannot provide documentation of equivalent qualifications must complete an approved pedagogical development program within two years of appointment.
It is a prerequisite that within three years of appointment, new employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language can demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three in the course for Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
Please see the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts for general criteria for the position. NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written
- Good teamwork skills
- Flexible mindset to work on both fundamental and applied research
- Ability to work structured
- Solution and result orientation
- Interest and ability to work with students
In the assessment of the best qualified applicant, education, experience and personal suitability will be emphasized, as well as motivation for the position.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favorable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The gross salary for the position of Associate Professor code 1011 is normally from NOK 607 700 - 754 900 before tax per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The person appointed must live in a location enabling him/her to be present at and available to the institution.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works)
- A description of the academic works that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be taken into account in the assessment
- Research proposal/plan for the first five years of employment within visual computing and extended reality (maximum 10 pages)
- Name and address of three referees
- Details of teaching qualifications based on "Documentation of applicant’s teaching qualifications in connection with appointment to an academic position at NTNU"
- Details of the projects you have managed, with information about funding, duration and size
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
When the application deadline has passed, a shortlisting committee will evaluate all applications. The best qualified applicants will then be considered by an external appointments panel and the most suitable applicants will be invited to interview and to deliver a lecture to undergraduate students.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. NTNU wishes to increase the proportion of women in its academic positions, and women are therefore encouraged to apply.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Submit your application with your CV, diplomas and certificates via jobbnorge.no. Applicants invited for interview must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas. Mark the application with reference number: 2019/14340.
Deadline for applications: 15.09.2019
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Computer Science
We are the leading academic IT environment in Norway, and offer a wide range of theoretical and applied IT programmes of study at all levels. Our subject areas include hardware, algorithms, visual computing, AI, databases, software engineering, information systems, learning technology, HCI, CSCW, IT operations and applied data processing. The Department has groups in both Trondheim and Gjøvik. The Department of Computer Science is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 437289
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.