RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Materials engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE04/02/2020 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Leuven
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK38
Advanced thermoplastic composites offer a number of benefits in terms of toughness,manufacturing speed and recyclability over their thermoset counterparts. There is however a need for the development of practical production simulation tools,to optimize the process parameters and the final part performance. In the process, where pressure, temperature and time are the key parameters, intimate contact and interdiffusion are needed to achieve proper bonding between the plies, while crystallization affects the build-up of residual stresses in the laminate.
The goal of this PhD study is to focus on the relation between the process parameters in compression moulding of continuous fibre reinforced thermoplastics and the resulting mechanical properties of the product, both through characterization of the material and the product, and through the development of a consolidation,autohesion and crystallization model. For the experimental work, a hot press,micro-computer tomography, rheological and thermal analysis equipment,mechanical testing facilities are available at the university. Experiments will be used to provide model input and validation. The PhD research will be executed in the framework of an industrial collaboration project ProPeL.
- A high-level and exciting international research environment.
- A PhD. title from one of Europe's top universities (after approximately 4 years of successful research).
- A thorough scientific education in the frame of a doctoral training program.
- A tax-free PhD grant.
- The possibility to participate in local as well as international courses, workshops and conferences.
- A one-year position with the possibility of extension for a second, third, and fourth year.
The PhDcandidate position is dependent on the approval of the Faculty doctoralcommittee (Faculty of Engineering Technology) and will be performed accordingto the regulations of the Arenberg Doctoral School (more information: https://set.kuleuven.be/phd).
- A master’s degree in mechanical or materialsengineering
- knowledge of the mechanics and processing offibre reinforced polymers
- An interest in both experimental and modelingresearch
- distinguished her- or himself during theeducation, with special attention to research projects, master thesis andmodeling courses
- Fluent knowledge of English, good knowledge ofDutch is an advantage.
- An open minded attitude
- Team player, as she or he will be part of theComposite Materials Group and the research team of the ProPeL project.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. ir. Jan Ivens, tel.: +32 16 32 86 12, mail: email@example.com or Prof. dr. ir. Stepan Lomov, tel.: +32 16 32 12 10, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can apply for this job no later than 04/02/2020 via the online application tool
Web site for additional job details
EURAXESS offer ID: 480860
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.