ORGANISATION/COMPANYTallinn University of Technology
RESEARCH FIELDJuridical sciences › Private law
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE27/01/2019 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONEstonia › Tallinn
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/09/2019
The Department of Law in Tallinn University of Technology (TalTech) invites applications for a professor position in Private Law. The professorship focuses on two recently very significant fields: the harmonisation of European contract law and the challenges arising in private law from new technologies. Contract law is at present undergoing a rapid adaptation process in the light of novel forms of contracts and business models, as reflected in the sharing economy (airnbn, uber), the increasing dominance of online trade (amazon, eBay) and services (google, facebook) or novel mechanisms of self-enforcement (blockchain based contract mechanisms as smart contracts). Most achievements deriving from digitisation – or other research performed by TalTech– are in urgent need for analysis and implementation into today’s European legal systems.
The professorship is designed to contribute basic and constructive research on the legal foundations of emerging technologies (e.g. smart contracts) according to market needs. It also undertakes analytical and comprehensive research on novel contract practices already being in use (e.g. software licenses), the digital market component being the common denominator of all research. This research shall be taking place within the framework of an extensive international research network, providing for both high-level international impact and comparative, contemporary approaches.
In terms of teaching, the professorship is designed to provide to students extensive and thorough instruction on novel contract forms and their interaction, preparing future (in-house-) lawyers, judges, government officials and scholars for the digitisation of the legal and business-related professions.
The department offers
- a strong international team and student community;
- opportunities for professional development;
- an extensive network for multidisciplinary cooperation;
- modern working environment;
- access to relevant infrastructure.
For more detailed information on the position, please contact Kaja Kattel, Assistant to the Head of the Department of Law, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following application documents are required (in English):
- an application;
- documents proving that the candidate holds the required academic degree (PhD or an equivalent qualification) and has acquired the required education;
- a curriculum vitae and a list of publications;
- an academic portfolio;
- a vision or an action plan for the following period of employment (the maximum total length 1500 words);
- other documents considered to be important by the applicant.
Documents should be sent by e-mail to email@example.com.
TalTech as an employer offers
- Modern ergonomic working conditions and a flexible schedule;
- One of the most compact university campuses in Europe that is situated next to the technology and many high-tech companies and start-ups (Skype, Starship Technologies etc.);
- Individual development and training opportunities;
- Material and non-material tokens of acknowledgement;
- Sporting opportunities;
- All-staff activities and a balanced work and family life.
TalTech is an international scientific community with 11,000 students and approximately 1,800 employees, one of the largest universities in Estonia that is the leading EU country in digitalization. The strengths of the university are wide multidisciplinary study/research interests, modern research and study environment as well as good collaboration with international educational and research institutions.
More information about TalTech: https://www.ttu.ee/en/.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELJuridical sciences: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- PhD in law;
- postdoctoral or other international work experience in areas related to private law and its special fields mentioned above;
- high level publication record that proves ability for high quality independent research;
- ability to apply for and obtain funding from national as well as international sources;
- experience in teaching and supervising at all levels (BA, MA and PhD level; executive trainings);
- experience of providing legal opinions to international, public and private stakeholders.
- successful supervision of PhD students;
- experience in research leadership and coordination of research activities;
- ability to initiate and attract collaboration projects and competitive funding;
- practical experience as lawyer or legal consultant.
EURAXESS offer ID: 361803
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.