ORGANISATION/COMPANYJ. Heyrovský Institute of Physical Chemistry of the CAS, v. v. i.
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Physical chemistryPhysics › Biophysics
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)First Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE27/09/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONCzech Republic › Prague 8
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER860592
The position is part of the Innovative Training Network (ITN) “PROTON”. The network is devoted to the investigation of proton transport and proton-coupled transport. It is funded under Marie Sklodowska-Curie actions (H2020-MSCA-ITN-2019, grant agreement number: 860592). The applicant will mostly work in the Department of Biophysical Chemistry (Martin Hof Lab), J. Heyrovsky Institute of Physical Chemistry, Prague, Czech Republic.
The successful applicant will investigate the hydration and dynamics of the urea channel protein by means of fluorescence spectroscopy and microscopy. As a part of the project, function-relevant regions of this membrane protein will be modified and the effect of various lipid compositions on its activity will be investigated. The gained results will be correlated with the ability of the protein channel to transport protons yielding new insights into the mechanism of the channel functioning.
The PhD student will have two secondments (2 to 3 months each):
• Centre for Molecular Medicine (NCMM), University of Oslo, Norway
We are offering a full time position for three years. Monthly salary will be approximately €1800 after taxes and social security. The earliest starting date is the 1. October 2019.
- 25 days paid leave of absence (holidays) per year
- Lunch vouchers
- 3 days of paid sick-leave in addition to the statutory insurance
- Subsidy for sport and cultural activities
1. Motivation letter
2. Reference letters
3. Curriculum Vitae
4. Copies of Bachelor and Master certificates
5. Publications (if available).
Women are encouraged to apply. The recruitment committee gives preference to female candidates if they are equally qualified as male candidates.
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
1. Applicants must, at the date of recruitment by PROTON, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctorate) of their research careers
2. They should not have been awarded a doctoral degree.
3. Applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting institution for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date. This excludes short stays such as holidays or compulsory national service.
4. We look for students with exceptional academic performance holding or very close to completing their Master degree in Biophysics, Biochemistry or closely related subjects,
5. Knowledge of the English language is essential.
Advanced methods of fluorescence spectroscopy and microscopy. Basic preparation skills of the model bilayer systems and protein labelling. Biochemical labelling, chromatography, fluorescence spectroscopy, time resolved anisotropy and circular dichroism spectroscopy, single molecule microscopy
1. Knowledge of fluorescence spectroscopy and microscopy techniques (e.g. confocal microscopy, fluorescence correlation spectroscopy, TCSPC)
2. Experience in handling fluorescent molecules, etc.
3. Publications in international journals/attendance of international conferences in the following fields: biophysics, fluorescence spectroscopy.
4. Protein purification and membrane reconstitution
5. Ability to use programming languages for data acquisition
6. Soft skills: presentation skill, team working ability
For all the above, knowledge is proven by publications, certificates, master thesis or equivalent documentation. Skills should be acknowledged in reference letters and demonstrated during the interview (presentation skills). During the interview each applicants presents his/her master thesis and a scientific paper from an area unrelated to his/her specialization (chosen by the interviewers).
EURAXESS offer ID: 438050
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.